I got this from Lost in a Story, and is a super fun (and simultaneously productive) tag to help you whittle away at those never-ending TBRs!
It works like this:
- Go to your Goodreads to-read shelf.
- Order on ascending date added.
- Take the first 5 (or 10 if you’re feeling adventurous) books (I’ll keep doing 15, since it seems to work well for me!)
- Read the synopses of the books
- Decide: keep it or should it go?
- Keep track of where you left off so you can pick up there next week!
So right now I’m at 866 (woo, didn’t add any to the list while on a mini hiatus), so let’s keep powering through!!
- Phantoms in the Brain: Probing the Mysteries of the Human Mind by
- I think this was from when I still wanted to have a psychology minor in college. Obviously, that didn’t pan out well! I think I’ll remove it.
- We Got the Neutron Bomb: The Untold Story of L.A. Punk by Brendan Mullen. Added October 31, 2011.
- I really wanted to be a music journalist growing up; reviewing albums, interviewing artists…all that jazz. And punk was, and still is, my genre of choice. I think I’ll keep this one for now.
- Let It Blurt: The Life and Times of Lester Bangs, America’s Greatest Rock Critic by Jim Derogatis. Added October 31, 2011.
- See the blurb above as to why I’m keeping this one for now, even though a lot of the reviews tend to lean towards hating Derogatis.
- Redemption Song: The Ballad of Joe Strummer by Chris Salewicz. Added October 31, 2011.
- Joe died right before The Clash could get back together and tour again, and I’m forever sad about that. Keep.
- Get in the Van: On the Road with Black Flag by Henry Rollins. Added October 31, 2011.
- Henry Rollins has been at my home venue multiple times and I never get to goooooooooo. Keep.
- Love is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield. Added October 31, 2011.
- I act like a major grouch all the time, but I promise, I’m actually a sap inside. I’m like a freakin maple tree, I can be so sappy. I need to read this, since I’m in a much better place now than I was last year. Keep.
- Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby. Added October 31, 2011.
- I loved High Fidelity. I love Hornby’s style. I just don’t see myself reading and enjoying this one though. Remove.
- Songbook by Nick Hornby. Added October 31, 2011.
- Again, I just don’t see myself actually enjoying his musings on 31 songs he likes…remove.
- Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story by Chuck Klosterman. Added October 31, 2011.
- He’s one of the top music/pop culture critics, and this book sounds actually awful? Remove.
- Life by Keith Richards. Added October 31, 2011.
- The only thing I can really associate this with is that my “musician” ex didn’t know who Keith Richards was before a coworker lended him a copy of this book, and he didn’t even bother opening it. I’ll read it, but I don’t really need it on my TBR list? Remove.
- John Lennon: The Life by Philip Norman. Added October 31, 2011.
- This is one of those books that will haunt me forever until I actually read it. Keep.
- And I Don’t Want to Live This Life: A Mother’s Story of Her Daughter’s Murder by Deborah Spungen. Added October 31, 2011.
- No joke, I was really into the Sid and Nancy story when I was a teenager. But now I think it’s just…depressing. Nancy sucked. Sid sucked. Remove.
- Slash by Slash. Added October 31, 2011.
- I just…don’t see myself caring enough to actually read it? Remove.
- Come As You Are: The Story of Nirvana by Michael Azerrad. Added October 31, 2011.
- I mean, Heavier Than Heaven is one of my favorite biographies. So I need to keep it.
- Sing Me to Sleep by Angela Morrison. Added October 31, 2011.
- Clearly, I am here for YA lit. Cheesy romance? YUP! But this synopsis falls flat for me. Why do we still think glasses are ugly? Remove.
Removal rate: 53%. Still going strong!!00