I got this from Lost in a Story, and is a super fun (and simultaneously productive) tag to help you whittle away at those never-ending TBRs!
It works like this:
- Go to your Goodreads to-read shelf.
- Order on ascending date added.
- Take the first 5 (or 10 if you’re feeling adventurous) books
- Read the synopses of the books
- Decide: keep it or should it go?
- Keep track of where you left off so you can pick up there next week!
I got it down to 873 (I deleted some I just really didn’t care about at all).
- I Am Legend and Other Stories by Richard Matheson. Added October 31, 2011.
- I think I based this on the movie version, but…yeah, pass. Remove.
- The Passage by Justin Cronin. Added October 31, 2011.
- This actually seems really cool but super hardcore, too? Keep for now.
- Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill. Added October 31, 2011.
- Why have I not read this yet?! Keep.
- Mr. X by Peter Straub. Added October 31, 2011.
- So none of my friends have read this. There aren’t many great reviews. I’m gonna remove.
- Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lundqvist. Added October 31, 2011.
- I really really wanna read this one. I checked it out awhile back and never actually got around to reading it. So, keep.
- The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. Added October 31, 2011.
- Everything Jackson wrote scares the shit out of me. I really should have read this by now! Keep.
- Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King. Added October 31, 2011.
- Another King compilation I so need to read. I think 1922 was recently adapted for Netflix, too? But yes, here for it. Keep.
- The Strain by Guillermo del Toro. Added October 31, 2011.
- I actually own this! It’s in one of my five boxes of books from book sales over the last few years. I know it was adapted for television, and I tried to watch the pilot but there was a scene with weird shit and eyeballs and I can’t handle that. But I can hopefully handle this! Keep.
- Rose Madder by Stephen King. Added October 31, 2011.
- I think there was a Sci-Fi channel adaptation of this? But it apparently has a bunch of abuse. So I don’t know if I can handle that. I can’t believe I’m doing this, but I’m gonna remove this particular King book.
- The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. Added October 31, 2011.
- I think I missed the train with this one. I’m not on board with zombies, walled cities, or weird Sisterhoods anymore. Remove.
- Red Dragon by Thomas Harris. Added October 31, 2011.
- I think I own this one, too. And I actually think I read this one? Remove but not for anything wrong with the book! Just because my memory fails me.
- Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris. Added October 31, 2011.
- I do want to read Sedaris’ work at some point. But I don’t know if this one is the one to start with. Remove.
- Bridget Jones’s Diary by Helen Fielding. Added October 31, 2011.
- Again…added based on how much I adore the adaptation. So I might just bail on this one. Remove.
- Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay. Added October 31, 2011.
- I was really on an adaptation kick! But since I know how the series end (both the book and the show), I’m just gonna remove.
- Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain by Oliver Sacks. Added October 31, 2011.
- So fun fact: I was almost a music major in undergrad. I got wait listed, which sucked, but hey, I only had three major breakdowns as opposed to the twelve I know I would have had. I got a copy of this when I was in high school, just before my audition. I thought it might help me figure out my real end goal. But instead I just…never read it? Keep so I can relive my baby musician days.
Removal rate: 53%. Not that bad!