I got this from Lost in a Story, and is a super fun (and simultaneously productive) tag to help you whittle away at those never-ending TBRs!
It works like this:
- Go to your Goodreads to-read shelf.
- Order on ascending date added.
- Take the first 5 (or 10 if you’re feeling adventurous) books
- Read the synopses of the books
- Decide: keep it or should it go?
- Keep track of where you left off so you can pick up there next week!
I managed to get down to 808, mostly by going through and finding the ones that were continuations of series that I’d yet to start.
- The Neverending Story by Michael Ende.Seriously one of my absolute favorite movies growing up. It’s sad that I’ve never got around to reading this, honestly. But I’m gonna Keep it, and get around to reading it ASAP!
- The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale.I’m sure this was one of those books that I heard a lot about when I was in middle or high school, and just never actually read it? Which tends to be a constant trend with me…but anywayyy, this doesn’t sound nearly as interesting as it did when I added it in 2011. Soooo I’ll Remove.
- Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley.Fun lil factoid about me: I absolutely adore fairy tale retellings. I like seeing how people can put their own spin on something everyone’s familiar with. Trust me, later on down the list, there’s a massive long, several-post stretch of nothing but retellings. I should honestly probably make just an exclusive list for those…I digress. I’m gonna Keep this one, since Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale.
- Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix.Based on this cover, I’d read it if I saw it on a shelf. But reading the synopsis and reviews, I think I’ll Remove.
- Once Upon a Marigold by Jean Ferris.Based on just the summary on Goodreads, I would remove it. But the other reviews make it seem really cute and sweet, so I think I’ll Keep it!
- City of Glass by Cassandra Clare.Y’all. I spent way too much flippin’ time on this series in college. Then it got REAL WEIRD at the end of the first book/the entirety of the second book. I think it’s time I Remove it, because I just don’t wanna deal with it anymore! (Maybe I’ll try to give the series a re-read, but still.)
- Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder.It honestly sounds like every other dystopian story with a strong female lead…I’ll Remove it.
- Unwind by Neal Shusterman.This has been suggested about a thousand times in Forgotten YA Gems as a book of the month, and it never gets enough votes. It sounds creepy and kinda interesting, but I’ve also heard that there are a bunch of plot holes. So. Maybe I’ll Keep it for now.
- Delirium by Lauren Oliver.I’ve been intrigued by this series for a while (*cough* 2011), and I always end up not actually reading it? So maybe I’ll Keep it, and if I don’t touch it before February, I’ll just…not.
- The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born by Peter David.I LOVED The Gunslinger, and I kept trying to go see the movie over the summer and failed so hard. But this is a bit of backstory on our titular character, and in comic form, no less! I’ll Keep it for now.
REMOVAL RATE: 40%. Oooooh, that’s real bad, haha. But I’m at least on page 2 of 41!